Gordon Murray, the designer of the iconic McLaren F1, has revealed the T.50 hypercar. The T.50 is powered by a Cosworth-built V-12 that makes 654 horsepower and has a redline of 12,100 rpm. Weight is only 986KG. Only 100 units will be made at a price of $3 million each.
- Engineered to be the most driver-centric supercar ever built
- Full exterior and interior revealed showing design purity and fastidious attention to detail
- 3.9-litre V12 is the world’s lightest, highest-revving, most power dense naturally-aspirated road car engine
- 986kg total vehicle weight is lighter than the typical supercar by almost a third
- Most advanced and effective aerodynamics ever seen on a road car, enabled by Murray’s unique rear-mounted fan
- Far from a track-focused tool, T.50 offers day-to-day usability, practicality refinement and comfort alongside its ferocious performance
- Limited to production run of just 100
Murray’s design for T.50 was the 50th in a prestigious line of race and road cars he’s penned over his illustrious 50-year career – both reasons combining to name the car T.50.
Improving on his acclaimed McLaren F1 “in every conceivable way”, Professor Gordon Murray CBE is leading the team that will begin building customer versions of the 986kg supercar in January 2022. Justifying its £2.36m (before taxes) price tag, the T.50 promises to deliver an unsurpassed driving experience.
The T.50 is powered by a 100% bespoke 3.9-litre, 650hp V12 engine that revs to a record-breaking 12,100 rpm, and features the most advanced and effective aerodynamics ever seen on a road car – aided by a 400mm rear-mounted fan.
The most dominant characteristics of the T.50 exterior design are its purity and balance, free from the wings, skirts and vents that adorn most modern-day supercars. The clean surfaces are enabled by the most advanced and effective aerodynamics ever seen on a road car, resulting in deliberately simple, beautiful lines and a timeless appearance.
The purity of the silhouette is broken dramatically when the pair of dihedral doors rise up and forwards, coming to rest high above the passenger cabin. Inside, the driver-centric approach is plain to see – from the central, jet fighter-like driving position, to the aerospace-grade primary and secondary controls arranged in an ‘ergonomic bubble’ around the driver.
Every T.50 customer has the opportunity to meet Murray to discuss their car and personalize it inside and out. Part of this process includes a seat, steering wheel and pedals ‘fitting’ session – personalized to every owner – that will ensure the T.50 is ergonomically perfect and individualized for each discerning customer.
“Just 100 customers will share my vision, a car created to improve on the F1 formula in every conceivable way. With 30 years of technological and systems advancement, now, the time is right to design the greatest analogue driver’s car. I believe no other company could deliver what we will bring to market in 2022, producing this British supercar will be my proudest moment.” – Gordon Murray